Overlanders Real Estate Statistics

Average Price $526K
Lowest Price $12K
Highest Price $30M
Total Listings 8,977
Avg. Price/SQFT $335

Community statistics are calculated by Real Estate Webmasters and are for illustration purposes only, accuracy is not guaranteed.

Property Types (active listings)


Within the Hermitage plan area, Overlanders is one of three neighborhoods. Canon William Newton, an Anglican preacher after whom Canon Ridge is named, arrived in Edmonton in 1875 and established his first church, residence, and hospital in the Hermitage. The hermitage was on the south side of a ravine overlooking the north Saskatchewan River Valley to the east, some 10 kilometers from Fort Edmonton. Reverend Newton's house stayed in the same location for almost 25 years. The Hermitage remained an agricultural region for many years following colonization. The Grand Trunk Pacific Railway line, which operated along the railroad right-of-way at the time, defined the area's southern limit. The area's two cattle ranches were sold to a property development company in 1960, and the hermitage was annexed to Edmonton the following year. During the 1960s, land development was halted as government authorities and developers addressed concerns about residential growth too close to nearby industrial operations. By 1970, these issues had been addressed, and Overlanders had been incorporated into the Hermitage Outline Plan. In 1977, the neighborhood was partitioned, and construction began the following year. By the end of the 1970s, nearly all of the neighborhood's single-family homes and one-third of the row houses had been erected. The bulk of apartment buildings and row housing constructions were built in the 1980s. Collector roads and a network of cycling and pedestrian paths connect the Hermitage neighborhood to the rest of the city. On the north side of the neighborhood, there is access to the river valley, and there is a multi-purpose educational and recreational facility in the neighborhood's center. The Overlanders neighborhood was named after a group of miners who traveled from Fort Gary to the Cariboo gold fields by Red River cart. In 1862, a handful of the miners gave up their journey and settled in Edmonton. Victoria Trail, which runs along the east side of Overlanders, was named after a pair of early Edmonton settlement paths that ran parallel to the North Saskatchewan River. Following the river northeast to the Methodist mission at Victoria after 1864, the path was renamed the Victoria Trail.














#community-cta#